Monday, October 6, 2008

Still Swaddling????


Sometimes I think I need a support group. I feel like I should stand up somewhere and say "Hi my name is Lisa, and yes my 4 month old still needs to be swaddled..." Seth and I have tried to stop, but Abby just won't give it up! I have been blessed with a child who has never had trouble sleeping through the night, but the few times we have tried to let her not be swaddled, or the times when she pulls her Houdini act to get out of her swaddling blanket that has Velcro tabs, she wakes up in the middle of the night and won't go back to sleep easily. Seth laughs at me, but I keep telling him that we need to start weening her off being swaddled or she is going to be in college still needing to be swaddled! All my mom friends can't believe we still swaddle her, but hey, it is the only way she will go to sleep or stay asleep! Well tonight just for fun I decided to try to put her down without it for her final nap of the day, and so far so good!! I think I will try to keep her unswaddled (is that a word??) for her naps if she will let me, and eventually maybe she will be ready for an entire night!! Meanwhile if anyone knows of a swaddling support group let me know :)

2 comments:

Allison said...

I have like three friends here who had the exact same issue with their kids, and my friend Jeanna just weened her daughter lucy of the swaddling when she was seven months, so you are doing great! She will get it. i had never even heard of this whole phenomenon of swaddling until like a year ago, and now so many of my mom friends are doing it. You just have to continue to do things that work for you and your baby, and not let other people tell you when they should be doing this or that. you guys are amazing parents, and abby is the cutest little thing ever!

Diana said...

Don't worry about the swaddling....Bailey was swaddled until she was almost 6 months because of the same issues! I have a girlfriend who had a preemie and they still swaddle their two year old! Okay, so a little strange!!!!!