Saturday, January 30, 2010

Yes??

The Bible teaches us to "let your yes be yes and your no be no."

DISCLAIMER: I know I am about to TOTALLY use this Scripture out of context, but hey it fits my story :)

This is a lesson that we are trying to teach Abby. To a 20 month old, yes can mean all sorts of things.

For a long time when you would ask Abby a question she would answer "yeah." It was so cute!

"Abby did you have fun at church?"
"yeah" (Said in a very cute voice)

It was so nice to hear her answer that way. Then suddenly out of the blue "yeah" turned to "no". Way not cool, or cute...

"Abby do you want this banana?" (Abby LOVES "nanas" and would NEVER turn one down!)
"no" (still said in the cute voice, but not fun to hear)

We worked very hard to get her to understand that if she said "no" she would not get it but if she answered "yes" she would get it. She would always quickly change her answer to "yes" to get what she wanted. It was again so cute to hear her say "yes." The way she said it would always make you smile. I thought for sure she would eventually realize she needed to answer "yes" the first time.

Well it looks like we quickly moved past the "no" phase and her new "yes" is "okay." Again said in that totally adorable way.

Yesterday she got her foot stuck in the dining room chair and needed help getting it out.

"Abby are you stuck in the chair?"
"okay"

Can't wait to see what comes next! We are hoping it is "yes please" but I am not holding my breath. I am guessing we may have a few more stops before we arrive there. I just pray it is another cute stop and no more of that "no" business!

No comments: